So much for moth-balling the loom for the winter as I’ve been playing around at designing patterns, initially on paper until I found an old freebie bit of software called WeaveDraft.
You still have to design the pattern yourself but it’s easy to make changes to the design without having to redraw the whole thing…
I’ve just done my first session as a Life Model for many years, in fact I still had a waistline and muscles last time I modelled. I couldn’t remember all the “standard” art college poses but I think I got close enough to them to keep the artists happy, and they’ve asked me back to model again 🙂
Luckily the longest poses I had to do were only 15 minutes, but even so a few of my wasted muscles felt like they were having a heck of a workout. Despite the aches I enjoyed it, especially as the coffee was good – also the quality of drawing was very high, perhaps too high as I could see that I really need to get rid of a lot of flab from around my belly 🙁
Anyway, if anyone is undecided about life modelling then don’t be shy, I’d really recommend you giving it a try. It’s a good laugh and you’re helping people to learn to draw and sketch…
This is the piece I started threading last night before realising this morning that most of it was threaded wrongly 🙁
After a lengthy correction I finally got it right – a balanced plain weave similar to Welsh blanket patterns (and before you say that the white warp stripe in the centre of the photo is wider than the others – it’s supposed to be) 😛
I’ve been experimenting with plain weave and colour using just 2 frames to get a checked effect instead of the easier 4 frames.
It’s not quite what I wanted as the pink isn’t a solid shade, varying from pink, through blue, to grey. If it had been a pure pink the effect would be much more noticeable.
Ah well, so much to learn, so little lifespan left to do it 😉
I know I said I was putting the Loom away for the winter but I had one idea which I really wanted to try first – to use different colours, textures, and diameter fibres in my warp to make a fairly open-weave vertically patterned scarf instead of the usual horizontally striped pattern.
I think it works… (Sorry about the poor photo)